“I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the week that I was able to do with Sam Sykes Ltd. I gained some great experiences, which’ll help me in the future as I’ll be able to write this on my personal statement for university. Just wanted to let you know that I have a place on the Whipsnade Zoo Academy Course next August, which I’m also looking forward to.”
Zoo Residential Participant
Sam Sykes Blackpool Zoo Gold Residential Documentary
We wanted to capture the exciting and amazing experience that participant have when they come on one of our residential programs. I think what makes it even more important is that what they learn, and the experience on have on the course, is very personal. This not only comes through the direct contact with the animals but, also through the friendships made and experiences shared with the other they meet on the course.
For something a little different, in conjunction with Blackpool Zoo, we offer our unique 5 night specialist zoo keeper’s residential.
This fun and engaging opportunity is ideal for anyone with a passion for animals and conservation, or anyone looking to study a related area.
- This 5-day residential combines theory with practical, hands-on experience section at the zoo, focusing on key transferable skills to take away.
- Challenge opportunities include teamwork, small group work, presentations, leadership, problem solving and, of course, the chance to get up close and personal with a wide range of creatures.
- Food and accommodation is provided at a nearby scout hut where participants can enjoy quality food and homemade puddings!
- Accommodation and food
- Transport to and from Blackpool train station at both ends of the residential, if required
- All transfers to and from the zoo
- Five days at the zoo completing a range of practical and theory-based tasks
- The chance to feed, handle and experience a wide range of animals
- A portfolio of evidence and written reference from the zoo to take away
Approved Residential AAP
Residential Approved Activity Providers (AAPs) are organisations which have been licensed by The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, to provide residential opportunities to participants.
A Residential AAP will have satisfied the DofE that their proposed programme of activities will meet and adhere to the sectional requirements.